Our story began in 1995 when several different denominational Churches shared a vision to provide counselling and support for people in Central Scotland. Our services have changed over the years to respond to the needs of others.
We began with a telephone helpline, `Crossline’, which, at one time, in partnership with other similar services, took over 5000 calls a year from all over Scotland. We have also provided services by e-mail. Since 2015 we have provided counselling almost exclusively in face-to-face sessions and remotely during the pandemic, providing over 1000 hours of counselling each year.
We have provided spiritual care services in the local hospital, and we have developed bereavement listening services. We have also offered pastoral support services for the Church of the Nazarene, and we have partnerships with Addiewell and Cornton Vale prisons.
We have always had a significant focus on training. We provide training for our volunteers and other individuals. We also provide training for external agencies, including local Churches, the Carers Trust, the Salvation Army, and the Bethany Christian Trust.
Our original name was the Crossline Central Charitable Trust. We adopted the name of Quiet Waters in 2010, and in 2015 we assumed the more modern form of a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO). But throughout, we have been the same Scottish charity, regulated by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator. We continue to reflect Christ’s love and desire for wholeness, accepting people as they are and helping them move forward in whatever way they need.